Williamsburg Fire Department
P.O. Box 425
Williamsburg MA 01096
Emergencies: Dial 911
Online Application for Open Burning Permits
Permits are only issued between 8:30 AM and 1:00 PM.
Massachusetts allows residents to burn brush between January 15 and May 1, depending on weather conditions. You must obtain permission from the town in which you plan to burn brush.
Some towns in Hampshire County offer burning permits through hcburnpermits.com. If you are burning in these towns, you can visit this site between 8:30 AM and 1:00 PM to obtain a permit on the day you want to burn brush. Permit availability on a given day will depend on weather conditions.
- You may only burn BRUSH! All other materials are illegal. No leaves, grass, hay, stumps, building debris or any other materials are allowed to be burned.
- All open burning must be a minimum of 75 feet from buildings or structures.
- Burning will be allowed to start at 10:00am and must be extinguished by 4pm.
- Any open fire must be attended at all times by the permit holder.
- No person shall set, maintain or increase a fire in open air at any time except by permission.
- You must be 18 years or older to apply for a permit and/or set, maintain or increase a fire once permission has been granted by the Fire Department.
- You must have an appropriate means to extinguish an open air fire completely at the end of the day or if requested by the Fire Department.
- The Fire Department can refuse or cancel a permit at any time. (Example: Violation of permit regulations, or change in weather conditions.)
- Open burning season is January 15 - May 1.
- Massachusetts Regulation 310 CMR: DEP 7.07 "Open Burning"
- More information from the Massachusetts DEP.
Click here to obtain a permit online